FREMONT, Calif., June 22, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Semiconductor technology is critical in enabling a global digital economy. With device complexity on the rise, advanced technology scaling is harder than ever. It means finding new ways to accelerate innovation, at lower cost, across a globally distributed industry, all while reducing the industry's environmental impact. To overcome these challenges, a new paradigm must be embraced: A physical and virtual connected semiconductor ecosystem that will enable labs and fabs to unleash the power of innovation for a better world.
Today, Lam Research Corp. (Nasdaq: LRCX) made multiple announcements to usher in a new era of collaborative innovation, taking a leadership role in the creation of a virtual nano fabrication environment intended to significantly speed up and reduce the cost of industry breakthroughs:
- In a significant stride forward in the creation of a physical-virtual semiconductor ecosystem, Lam unveiled its newly formed Semiverse Solutions business unit led by Corporate Vice President David Fried. Semiverse Solutions leverage Lam's significant expertise in the areas of software development, simulation and modeling, data systems and advanced analytics. The organization will focus on delivering breakthrough solutions and services to enable a virtual fabrication environment for the semiconductor industry.
- The Semiverse Solutions portfolio is comprised of advanced software platforms to solve process modeling, design automation, and integration challenges. Also included are solutions to enable advanced plasma, fluid, electromagnetic and particle simulations. Together, they provide "building blocks" to create and foster an interconnected ecosystem of virtual tools and digital twins, allowing researchers to explore promising ideas and refine new processes more rapidly, at significantly lower cost, and with less physical materials usage.
- Lam has also announced its proposal to put the virtual-physical ecosystem in action to tackle one of the biggest issues in the semiconductor industry today – developing the pipeline of future semiconductor talent. Announced as part of a JOINT STATEMENT and FACT SHEET issued by governments of the United States and India at the White House today, Lam Research's Semiverse Solutions with SEMulator3D® will deliver a virtual nano fabrication environment to help train the next generation of semiconductor engineers in India. Combined with program management and course curriculum customization, this program is targeted to educate up to 60,000 Indian engineers in nanotechnologies, over a ten-year period, in support of India's semiconductor education and workforce development goals.
"The role semiconductors play in enabling everything from artificial intelligence to electric vehicles is fueling a greater need for nanotechnology expertise around the world. We look forward to working with the government of India in support of their goal to fast track the education and training of the next generation of semiconductor engineers," said Lam Research President and CEO Tim Archer.
Closing the Semiconductor Talent Gap in India and Around the World
The semiconductor industry faces a major talent shortage to meet anticipated future demand. Educating future semiconductor engineers is even more daunting as it is cost-prohibitive for academic institutions to provide physical access to the most advanced nanotechnologies. In addition, experimenting with volatile chemistries critical in the development and creation of semiconductors can be dangerous for students as they learn to work with semiconductor manufacturing equipment. Simulating real-world labs virtually provides greater democratization of engineering skills training, heightened safety, improved sustainability, and greater access to new talent pools around the world. Virtual skills training with the Semiverse Solutions portfolio is already in use by Lam, its customers, and partner academic institutions in the United States.
"Lam's Semiverse Solutions portfolio is a gamechanger that provides a foundation to create a virtual semiconductor innovation universe," says Fried. "As the semiconductor ecosystem races to scale to address the criticality of chips, the virtual-physical fabrication world made possible with Semiverse Solutions opens the door for exciting new opportunities for collaboration, workforce development and advanced technology breakthroughs."
Additional Media Resources
- To learn more about Semiverse Solutions visit https://www.lamresearch.com/semiverse-solutions/
- Lam Research Blog, Semiverse Solutions Tackle the Semiconductor Industry's Greatest Challenges
- Lam Research Blog, SEMulator3D and the Future of Engineering Education
About Lam Research
Lam Research Corporation is a global supplier of innovative wafer fabrication equipment and services to the semiconductor industry. Lam's equipment and services allow customers to build smaller and better performing devices. In fact, today nearly every advanced chip is built with Lam technology. We combine superior systems engineering, technology leadership, and a strong values-based culture, with an unwavering commitment to our customers. Lam Research (Nasdaq: LRCX) is a FORTUNE 500® company headquartered in Fremont, Calif., with operations around the globe. Learn more at www.lamresearch.com.
Caution Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
Statements made in this press release that are not of historical fact are forward-looking statements and are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements relate to, but are not limited to: Lam's plans to advance India's semiconductor workforce development goals; the importance of semiconductors to the global economy; the growth and future size of the semiconductor industry; challenges to the development and commercialization of advanced technologies; the significance of virtual fabrication to the industry, including expectations for impacts to the speed and cost of development; the focus of the Semiverse Solutions group and future developments to be realized by it; Lam's collaboration with India on semiconductor education and workforce development and impacts that may be realized, including the number of engineers trained and revenue impact to the semiconductor industry; and technical, commercial, collaborative, environmental, safety and other benefits of Lam's Semiverse Solutions portfolio of products and services. Some factors that may affect these forward-looking statements include: trade regulations, export controls, trade disputes, and other geopolitical tensions may inhibit our ability to sell our products; business, political and/or regulatory conditions in the consumer electronics industry, the semiconductor industry and the overall economy may deteriorate or change; the actions of our customers and competitors may be inconsistent with our expectations; supply chain cost increases and other inflationary pressures have impacted and are expected to continue to impact our profitability; supply chain disruptions have limited and are expected to continue to limit our ability to meet demand for our products; and widespread outbreaks of illness may impact our operations and revenue in affected areas; as well as the other risks and uncertainties that are described in the documents filed or furnished by us with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including specifically the Risk Factors described in our annual report on Form 10–K for the fiscal year ended June 26, 2022 and our quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended March 26, 2023. These uncertainties and changes could materially affect the forward-looking statements and cause actual results to vary from expectations in a material way. The Company undertakes no obligation to update the information or statements made in this release.
SOURCE Lam Research Corporation