Earth Day is April 22, 2019 and offers a reminder of the actions we can take every day to protect the planet. Each year, the Earth Day Network selects a theme, and this year’s is focused on protecting our species. The world is facing the highest rate of extinction in more than 60 million years, largely driven by climate change, deforestation, pesticide use, and pollution. From critical pollinators such as bees to keystone species such as whales, many species are impacted by human activity. Go to this fact sheet to learn more about this current wave of species decline.
The good news is we have the ability to slow the rate of extinction and even allow some species to recover. In honor of Earth Day, here are some simple tips for reducing your own impact on the environment and protecting our species.
- Measure your impact. Use this Footprint Calculator to assess your biggest impacts and identify opportunities to reduce them.
- Reduce the use of single use plastics. Choose durable and reusable options for items such as to-go cups, plastic to-go packaging, and straws.
- Plant native species and plants that attract pollinators.
- Reduce your energy use with LED lighting, energy efficient appliances, and HVAC equipment.
- Choose alternative modes of transportation: public transit, biking and walking have environmental and health benefits.
- Reduce your meat consumption: even one less meal a day can make a big difference.
Remember, there are also ways to reduce your impact at work:
- Bring your own mug or glass for coffee and other beverages.
- Ask for your meal on a reusable plate in the cafeteria or bring your own if it isn’t available.
- Turn off lights and monitors when not in use.
- Pay attention to signage on all recycling, composting and trash bins to ensure your waste goes to the right place.
- Reduce paper use – only print when necessary. Go paperless, if you can.
- Teleconference to reduce the need for travel.
Across our global locations, Lam celebrates Earth Day in a variety of ways from volunteering to electronics recycling. Look for activities at your location on or around Earth Day. Have an idea about how Lam could reduce our environmental impact? Share it here.
Links to past Earth Day articles:
- Tech Powering Renewable Energy
- Earth Day 2017 – Energy Efficiency Enabled by Technology
- Celebrate Earth Day – Clever Green Tech Innovations
- Celebrating Earth Day 2015