Good health and happy, successful lives go hand in hand – and healthy choices stick better when we learn them as children. That’s why we joined the Silicon Valley Leadership Group Foundation in starting the Lam Research Heart & Soles Run, which is dedicated to helping local children learn healthy lifestyles. The fourth annual run was held on March 25, 2017, and featured a new venue – the historic campus of Santa Clara University/Mission Santa Clara. Previously a 5K run/walk, the new course was bit longer at a 6K distance and also offered a more ambitious 10K route for those who were up to the challenge. We are pleased to note that this year’s event was our biggest thus far, with more than 2,000 participants. Their contributions will support many outstanding local causes that help kids get a better start in life.
Started in 2014, the Heart & Souls Run initially set a three-year goal to improve school nutrition by putting salad bars into local K-12 schools. Under this project, nearly 200 schools received funds for new salad bars that serve about 150,000 kids. With this initial goal achieved, several new charities have been added for 2017-2019, all of which promote physical activity as well as healthy food choices for children:
- Boys & Girls Clubs of North San Mateo County (youth guidance)
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Santa Cruz County (youth guidance)
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Silicon Valley (youth guidance)
- San Jose Earthquakes Community Fund (exercise for kids)
- Santa Clara County Office of Education (running for kids)
- Specialized Foundation (youth health and safe cycling)
- YMCA of Silicon Valley (healthy eating and physical activity standards)
Take a peek at the photos below to see how much fun staying fit and supporting our local kids can be. We hope you’ll be motivated to join us for the 2018 event!